My research focuses on the developing of bio-inspired polarization, multi-spectral, and hyper-spectral imaging systems for biomedical applications, specifically increasing the sensitivity and specificity of cancerous tumor detection during surgery while minimizing iatrogenic damage.
Ph.D. in Computer Engineering
- Dissertation: Bio-Inspired Multi-Spectral and Polarization Imaging Sensors for Image-Guided Surgery.
- Advisor: Prof. Viktor Gruev.
M.S. in Electrical Engineering
- Thesis: Buccal Prosthesis for Quadriplegic Controls.
B.S. in Mechatronics Engineering
- Graduated with honors.
- Senior Project: Robotic Gadget Designs Controlled via Smartphone.
- Advisors: Shuming Nie and Viktor Gruev
- Research and development of multi/hyper-spectral imagers for image-guided surgery in patients with breast and prostate cancer. Recently developed technology that has undergone clinical trials for the mapping of sentinel lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer.
Graduate Research Assistant
- Researched and developed scientific imaging systems for polarization and near-infrared fluorescence for image-guided surgery. Developed medical imaging systems that underwent clinical trials at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Tested polarization systems in the field in collaboration with multiple research groups.
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Washington U. in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO | Jan. 2015 – Dec 2015
- Taught and led the laboratory practices for Imaging Sensors and Digital Integrated Circuit Design and Architecture.
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, SIUE, Edwardsville, IL | Jan. 2012 – Apr. 2013
- Taught and led the laboratory practices for Advanced Circuits Analysis, Electronic Design, and Computer Architecture.
Kumath Institute, Cuernavaca, Mexico | Jul. 2010 – Dec. 2011
- Tutored students at high school and undergraduate levels on math, physics, chemistry, and biology topics.
Mexican National Mathematical Olympiad, Mexico City, Mexico | Jan. 2007 – Nov. 2009
- Trained advanced math students for the National Mathematical Olympiad.
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Florence, Italy | May 2018
- IEEE ISCAS Best Student Paper Award | Baltimore, MD | May 2017
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Baltimore, MD | May 2017
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Lisbon, Portugal | May 2015
- SIUE Outstanding Thesis Award | Edwardsville, IL | Oct. 2013
- SIUE Outstanding Graduate Student Award | Edwardsville, IL | Jan. 2013
- ITESM University’s Science Fair: 1st place – Adv. Electronics and 2nd place – Comp. Science | Cuernavaca, Mexico | May 2011
- ITESM Highest single period GPA | Cuernavaca, Mexico | Jan. 2011
- ITESM Dean’s List | Cuernavaca, Mexico | Held Aug. 2007 – Dec. 2011
- Solomon Lefschetz National Mathematical Championship for Engineers: 3rd place | Mexico City, Mexico | Apr. 2009
- ITESM Scholarship of Excellence for Undergraduate Studies | Cuernavaca, Mexico. | Aug. 2007
2019 | Biomedical Optics Express
2017 – 2018 | Optical Society of America A
2017 | IEEE Sensors Journal
2016 – 2017 | IEEE ISCAS
2016 | Journal of Modern Optics
2016 | NGCAS
2016 | TBioCAS
2015 – 2016 | Graduate Council
2014 – 2015 | Graduate Student Association
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
SACNAS U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Chapter | Outreach coordinator,
Cena y Ciencias | Outreach coordinator