My research focuses on the developing of bio-inspired polarization, multi-spectral, and hyper-spectral imaging systems for biomedical applications, specifically increasing the sensitivity and specificity of cancerous tumor detection during surgery while minimizing iatrogenic damage.
Ph.D. in Computer Engineering
- Dissertation: Bio-Inspired Multi-Spectral and Polarization Imaging Sensors for Image-Guided Surgery.
- Advisor: Prof. Viktor Gruev.
M.S. in Electrical Engineering
- Thesis: Buccal Prosthesis for Quadriplegic Controls.
B.S. in Mechatronics Engineering
- Graduated with honors.
- Senior Project: Robotic Gadget Designs Controlled via Smartphone.
Graduate Research Assistant
- Researched and developed scientific imaging systems for polarization and near-infrared fluorescence for image guided surgery. Developed medical imaging systems underwent clinical trials at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Tested polarization systems on the field in collaboration by multiple research groups.
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Washington U. in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO | Jan. 2015 – Dec 2015
- Taught and led the laboratory practices for Imaging Sensors and Digital Integrated Circuit Design and Architecture.
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, SIUE, Edwardsville, IL | Jan. 2012 – Apr. 2013
- Taught and led the laboratory practices for Advanced Circuits Analysis, Electronic Design, and Computer Architecture.
Kumath Institute, Cuernavaca, Mexico | Jul. 2010 – Dec. 2011
- Tutored students at high school and undergraduate levels on math, physics, chemistry, and biology topics.
Mexican National Mathematical Olympiad, Mexico City, Mexico | Jan. 2007 – Nov. 2009
- Trained advanced math students for the National Mathematical Olympiad.
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Florence, Italy | May 2018
- IEEE ISCAS Best Student Paper Award | Baltimore, MD | May 2017
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Baltimore, MD | May 2017
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track | Lisbon, Portugal | May 2015
- SIUE Outstanding Thesis Award | Edwardsville, IL | Oct. 2013
- SIUE Outstanding Graduate Student Award | Edwardsville, IL | Jan. 2013
- ITESM University’s Science Fair: 1st place – Adv. Electronics and 2nd place – Comp. Science | Cuernavaca, Mexico | May 2011
- ITESM Highest single period GPA | Cuernavaca, Mexico | Jan. 2011
- ITESM Dean’s List | Cuernavaca, Mexico | Held Aug. 2007 – Dec. 2011
- Solomon Lefschetz National Mathematical Championship for Engineers: 3rd place | Mexico City, Mexico | Apr. 2009
- ITESM Scholarship of Excellence for Undergraduate Studies | Cuernavaca, Mexico. | Aug. 2007
- Optical Society of America A | 2017, 2018
- IEEE Sensors Journal | 2017
- IEEE ISCAS | 2016, 2017
- Journal of Modern Optics | 2016
- NGCAS | 2016
- TBioCAS | 2016
- Graduate Council | 2015-2016
- Graduate Student Association | 2014-2015
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- SACNAS U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Chapter Outreach coordinator
- Cena y Ciencias Outreach coordinator